Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of India given in the field of Arts, Literature, Public Service, Science and sports. It was instituted in the year 1954 and the recipient of Bharat Ratna is honoured with a certificate and a peepal leaf medal. Recommendation for Bharat Ratna can only be made by Prime Minister to The President of India and it can’t be more than 3 in a year. Here is a complete list of the recipients of Bharat Ratna since 2019 .
1 .Rajgopalachari (1954) : He was the first Governor General of Independent India and founder of ‘Swantantra Party’ .He was also an Independence activist and statesman.
2. S. Radhakrishnan (1954) : He was a great Educationist .thinker and philosopher. He has also served as a Vice Chancellor of Banaras Hindu University, second Vice President and first president of Independent India. His birthday is celebrated as ‘Teachers Day’ .
3. C. V. Raman (1954) : One of the most recognised Indian scientist who is widely known for his theory ‘Raman Effect’. He was also presented ‘Nobel Prize ‘ in the field of Physics in 1930.
4. M. Visvesvaraya (1955) : He was a great Engineer and statesman. His birthday is celebrated as ‘Engineers Day’.
5. Bhagwan Das (1955) : A great philosopher and educationist . He played a very vital role in the foundation of Banaras Hindu University and Kashi Vidyapeeth.
6. Jawahar Lal Nehru (1955) : He was first Prime Minister of Independent India.
7. Govind Vallabh Pant (1957) : He was a Freedom Fighter and statesman. He served as chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and Union Home Minister .
8. D. K. Karve (1958) : A great Educationist and Social reformer.
9. B.C. Roy (1961) : A great statesman and Doctor popularly known as ‘The maker of Modern Bengal’. His birthday is celebrated as ‘Doctors Day’.
10. P. D. Tandon ( 1961): Titled as ‘Rajarshi’ known for his campaign to get Hindi as official language.
11. Dr. Rajendra Prasad (1962) : A great scholar, freedom fighter and Statesman known for his contribution in formation of Indian Constitution. He served as First President of India. He was only president who served for two terms.
12. Zakir Husain(1963) : He served as second vice president and first president of Independent India.
13. P. V. Kane (1963) : A great scholar and thinker who is best known for his work on ‘monuments’.
14. Lal Bahadur Shastri (1966) : A freedom fighter ,thinker and statesmen who is known for values in Indian politics. He was the hero of Indo -Pak war 1965. He served as second Prime Minister of Independent India.
15. Indira Gandhi ( 1971) : First women Prime Minister of Independent India who is best known for her support to separate Bangla Desh from Pakistan .
16. V. V. Giri (1975) : A great Economist and statesman who served as the fourth president of Independent India.
17. K. Kamraj (1976) : A great statesmanand Congress leader who challenged the Nehru dynasty in Congress.He served as a Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
18. Mother Teresa (1980) : She was a Catholic Nun and Founder of Missionaries of Charities . She was honored with Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
19. Vinoba Bhave (1983) : He is best known for his ‘ Bhoodan Movement’ and titled as ‘Acharya’ . He was awarded with ‘Ramon Magsaysay Award’ in 1958.
20. Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan (1987) : He was a freedom fighter and founded ‘Khudai Khidmatgar’ in 1929.
21. M.G. Ramchandran (1988) : A great actor and Statesman who served three times as Tamilnadu Chief Minister.
22. B.R. Ambedkar (1990) : A social reformer and Statesman who voiced for dalit welfare.
23. Nelson Mandela (1990) : A great African leader and philosopher who voiced for equality for blacks in South Africa. He was jailed for 27 years and after release elected President of South Africa .He was also awarded with ‘Nobel Peace Prize’ in 1993.
24. Rajiv Gandhi (1991) : Indian statesman who served as Prime Minister of India .
25. Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel (1991) : A freedom fighter and statesman best known as ‘Iron man of India’. He was first deputy Prime Minister who has merged more than 550 independent states with India .
26. Morar ji Desai (1991) : An Indian statesman who led first non-congress government in 1977 .
27. J.R.D. Tata (1992) : A great Indian Industrialist , Social worker who led ‘Tata Group’ one of the most powerful corporate house having global recognition.
28. Abul Kalam Azad (1992) : Educationist and statesman who served as Education Minister in Nehru government.
29. Satyajit Ray (1992) : A great director who is credited to take Indian cinema on heights . He was also awarded with ‘Dada Sahab Falke ‘ .
30. Gulzari Lal Nanda (1997) : Indian statesman and Economist who served two times as Interim Prime Minister of India.
31. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (1997) : He is popularly known as ‘Missile Man ‘. He is credited to carry out the legacy of Homi Jahangir Bhabha to make India a nuclear power . He has also served as President of India.
32. Aruna Asaf Ali (1997) : Freedom fighter and an statesman with left ideology .
33. Chidambaram Subrimaniam (1998) : He is best known for his contribution in green revolution .
34. Jayprakash Narayan ( 1999) : One of the few Indian statesman known for value and sacrifice in Indian politics. He is credited to unite and lead the opposition against congress. He was the architect of first non congress government in 1977.
35. Amartya Sen (1999) : A great Economist who was awarded with ‘Nobel Prize in Economics’ in the year 1998.
36. Gopinath Borodolai (1999) : An activist and Chief Minister of Assam. He is credited to merge Assam with India and keep India united.
37. Ravi Shankar (1999) : A great classical artist and winner of Grammy Awards .
38. Lata Mangeshkar (2001) : Most recognised female singer of Indian Cinema. She was also honored with ‘Dada Sahab Falke’ .
39. Bismillah Khan (2001) : Most recognised India sehnai player .
40. Bhimsen Joshi (2008) : He is well known face in Indian classical music having expertise in ‘Khayal’ .
41. C.N.R. Rao (2014) : Famous Indian scientist and BHU alumni who was honoured with doctorate by more than 50 universities .
42. Sachin Tendulkar (2014) : One of the most recognised name in international cricket .
43. Madan Mohan Malviya (2015) : A great scholar, educationist and statesman and Hindu Mahasabha leader. He was the founder of BHU , Varanasi .
44. Atal Bihari Vajpayee (2015) : A great leader who is known for values and honesty in Indian Politics . He was the founder President of Bhartiya Janta Party . He has served as Indian Prime Minister three times.
45. Nanaji Deshmukh ( 2019) : A great educationist ,thinker and philosopher who is associated with RSS . He is credited to start ‘Saraswati Shishu Mandir ‘ all over india .
46. Bhupen Hazarika (2019) : He was a great singer and musician .He is one of the most respected personality in Assam .
47. Pranab Mukherjee (2019) : An Indian statesman and President of India.